6 CEUs Online/On Demand
Purpose :The purpose of this course is to help the participant understand the many complexities of the patients who have chronic diseases. The patient who has been diagnosed with a chronic disease will experience different challenges than that of a patient who is dealing with an acute episodic illness. The case manager of chronic disease patients will also meet with different care coordination challenges in managing these patients. The case manager will identify and be able to understand the special background and skill set needed to work with chronic disease patients. The course will allow participants to analyze case studies for patients with common chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, and respiratory diseases to name a few. The workshop will help the participants to identify the role of the chronic disease case manager.
- Define the role of the chronic disease case manager.
- Discuss how the role of the chronic disease case manager differs from those of other case managers.
- Discuss the desired experience and background of the chronic disease case manager.
- Discuss the standard of practice for a chronic disease case manager.
- Define the expectations for the chronic disease case manager when he/she functions in different levels of case management simultaneously.
- Discuss how chronic disease case managers keep the healthcare team updated on changes in conditions.
- Explain differences between internal chronic disease case managers and external disease case managers.
- Analyze the three case studies and identify the role of the chronic disease case manager in each case.
- Discuss the importance of self care and stress management for the chronic disease case manager.
Outcome :The role of the chronic disease case manager is critical to keeping patients on track with the established care plan which has been created by the multidisciplinary team. The chronic disease case manager is the resource connector for the team. The chronic disease case manager will have a broad understanding of the patient’s behaviors and concerns regarding his/her illness. The chronic disease case manager will most likely develop long term professional relationships with the patients. Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to clearly define and identify the purpose and responsibilities of the chronic disease case manager in the healthcare setting.