6 CEUs (Live workshop) 1 Day
Purpose :This course provides an overview of the structure and process to develop an effective risk management program. The development and evaluation of such a program in healthcare will require an organizational team approach. This workshop will identify the recommended Best Practice team for the Risk Management program development.
The workshop will cover the history of the evolution of risk programs in healthcare. The discussions will explore key written policies and procedures for risk management in healthcare. The directives in this course can be used by the new risk manager for guidance on program development or by the experienced risk manager to assess the current program. Development of a written risk management program is only the first step in the process.
The risk manager, along with high level leadership support, must educate and communicate to staff throughout the organization about the program expectations. The risk management program is a moving target and will require continuous updates along with the changes in healthcare.
- Discuss the evolution of risk management in healthcare.
- Identify basic tools needed to design, implement, and evaluate the risk program.
- Define the key stakeholders who are involved with the risk program.
- Identify three structural elements of a risk program.
- Define the scope of the risk programs.
- Discuss three tools to use from the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) assessment that will help with program evaluation.
Outcome :At the completion of the workshop, participants will be able to identify the basic tools needed to design, implement, and evaluate a risk management program. Participants will be able to understand the importance of partnering with key stakeholders in order to have an effective risk program. Finally, participants will be able to identify areas in healthcare where risk management programs are critical for patient safety and they will be able to evaluate those programs for effectiveness.